A frustrating part of the workers compensation process can be how long things take to be approved before a patient can obtain treatment. The following guidelines show you the time frames that you are able to obtain certain treatments without having to have a specific workers compensation approval.
The best thing for anybody who has a work injury is to obtain treatment and get back to work (and normal life) as soon as possible.
Below is some information from the SIRA (State Insurance Regulatory Authority) website regarding time frames that treatment can be claimed without a specific approval.
• Any treatment within the first 48 hours of the injury.
• Nominated Treating Doctor consultations – up to one month after injury date.
• Public Hospital – Emergency Department services and treatment post Emergency Department treatment – up to one month after injury date.
• Medical Specialists – When referred by Nominated Treating Doctor you can claim consultation with a Medical Specialist – up to three months after injury date.
• Diagnostic Investigations –
o Nominated Treating Doctor Referral – plain x-rays, - two weeks after injury date.
o Medical Specialist – Ultrasounds, CT Scans, MRI Scans – three months after injury date. (Provided you have been referred to the Medical Specialist by your Nominated Treating Doctor).
After the above periods of time if further treatment is required approvals will need to be sought from the workers' compensation insurance company. This can be a frustratingly slow process so if you are able to get onto the initial investigations early it may save time down the track and you may find you are faster getting to the next step if you get onto things early.
For further information regarding your Workers Compensation claim you can go to the SIRA Website.
If you have any queries about your Workers’ Compensation case you can contact SIRA directly and they can advise you of your rights and your insurance companies obligations so you know where you stand.
Of course, if you there is anything we can help you with Dr Moloney’s staff are always happy to answer any questions you may have.